Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More Big Girl Photos




I decided to go ahead and practice my new-found skills while I still had the fancy f/1.4 lens on rental.  And since I don't have any kids or gardens handy, I forced Rory to be my practice subject.  She's surprisingly pretty great about pictures.  When she's feeling particularly patient, she'll stare right at my camera lens and not move a muscle until I say, "Good girl, thank you!"  Yeah, she's a pretty stellar dog, if I do say so myself. 

I chose shots that would be extra tricky, to see what I could come up with.  The photos above and below this paragraph are next to a door with very, very bright (100 degree) sunlight outside, and dim lighting inside.  Couple that with a black dog, and it was hard to show any of her detail while keeping brightness to the photo.  I still need practice, but I'm happy so far. 




These "orange" photos were taken away from the sunny door, and the sunlight was also diffused through curtains and blinds.  (It's blazing hot here, and we're trying to keep the heat out as best as possible.  See Also:  $200 power bill last month.)

Our lighting downstairs tends to cast an orange glow to everything, and the wood floors behind Rory make the problem worse.  But oh well.  I kinda like that she's glowy, haha :)  I love the idea of the light glowing from one side, highlighting a portion of her face.  I'm going to keep working on finding a way to make photos like this work.

This shot isn't great for lots of reasons,
but I love that the only thing in
focus is her nose.  It's just so her.

She's a lover.

"Wait."

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW I miss Rory!!! I miss you too, but I miss Rory :D

    ReplyDelete