Friday, April 1, 2011

Book Report No. 2

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond
Verdict:  This book was fun.  If you haven't read her online collection (that was the pre-cursor to this book), definitely check it out.  Otherwise, it feels like a re-read.  Also, if you are even slightly discontent with the man in your life, you may want to skip this title.  Ree's tale of cowboy romance is hard for any man to compete with, and the fact that it's a real story makes it even worse.



The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Verdict:  I just finished this book last night, and the more I think about it, the more I love it.  Yes, it's written from the dog's point of view.  But although it may seem simple and simply amusing at first, this story is a deep and touching one, with some very emotional lessons.  Lessons all taught by the dog, Enzo.  It's not my normal kind of book choice, but I really recommend it.  And I'm definitely going to see if my library has other titles by Stein.


What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell
Anticipation:  I love just about anything by Malcolm Gladwell, and the fact that this book is a collection of essays makes me happy.  I currently don't have the focus (or time or energy) to get my way through an entire book with inter-related themes, so a collection sounds just about perfect right now.   

   



The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
Anticipation:  I gushed about this book before, I know.  But it finally arrived in the mail this week, so I hadn't yet been able to read it.  It's currently sitting under the edge of my bed (where all my next-in-line books live), pretty much screaming at me to crack open the cover.  I haven't even allowed myself to remove the paper slip cover yet, because I needed to finish my library books before the distraction of a shiny new novel by my favorite author.  But, wait no more!  I get to start this book tonight, and I'm so excited!  I may or may not spend my Friday evening under a down comforter with this book and a plate of congo bars.  Please don't judge.





2 comments:

  1. I loved What the Dog Saw. Wasn't it interesting? I will check out the others! I want to read all weekend now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara. I added a couple of these to my reading list. Now I must send Alycia off to the University library to check out these books for me.

    ReplyDelete