Monday, July 26, 2010

Removing My Camera's Training Wheels

I attended my very first photography class this weekend, and in two short hours, I learned so, so, so much.  I read a whole lot of blogs, and some (read: Pioneer Woman) have some amazing pictures featured daily.  And some (read:  Pioneer Woman) do explain camera settings and how the amazing photos were captured.  I've read all those explanations and camera lessons.  And.. Yeah.  Not happening in this brain of mine.  So, I didn't have high hopes for a group class that was only 2 hours long.  But learn, I did. 

I went to the intro class by Kate Byars Photography - "What Does This Button Do?"  Love the name, right?  She explained three concepts - ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed - in plain, funny English, and I left the class understanding how to play nicely with all three.  I'm now proud to be a straight-up Manual Mode only user.  Yee-haww!

Here are the before and after pictures I took during the class.  The first was a guess at settings or leftover settings from the previous shot.  After some mucking around, I was able to capture the second photo.  Pritty!!


 I'm slowly, but surely, becoming a big fan of f/1.4....

 
I love how the sunlight washes out the RH side of the photo.


 This is my Cupid's Arrow photo :)





Voila! A door!



M is for my friend, Mischa :)

5 comments:

  1. very cool.... now can you teach your sister how to do this stuff too??????? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great new venture for you. I've always known that you were creative and "hands on" per say. By this meaning your love for cooking and baking and such. This is a great new hobby to take on and know that you will be great at it. I can see the difference already!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes spread your knowledge, I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so jealous! looks like i'll be signing up for a class asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I took a few photography classes a few years back pre-digital camera but I never had much chance to practice what I learned and have forgotten everything.

    I just got a new camera and I can't wait to find a class. I'm using auto modes but the DVD I got to accompany my camera at least taught me a little more about the settings and modes. Even on auto settings I'm getting better pics already with that little bit of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete