Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mmmm..Rice Pudding

I really miss yummy dairy-based items. I scarfed a plate of huevos rancheros yesterday, and practically pumped my fork in the air in defiance. They tasted sooo good.

As such, I'm always on the lookout for recipes that mimic those foods I can no longer enjoy. I've recently found myself daydreaming about the creamy arborio rice pudding at the health food store by my workplace. And, lucky me! - I stumbled on a vegan recipe posted by one of my Twitter pals, @MadcapCupcake. Hurrah hurrah hurrah! I made a few changes to the recipe when I made it today (what foodie doesn't immediately muck with a new recipe, right?). Below is my version, bon appetit!

Coconut Cardamom Arborio Rice Pudding
Serves 2

1/4 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (add 1 Tbsp sugar if unsweetened)
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of cardamom (approx 1/8 tsp.)

Stir all ingredients in a medium sized heavy-weight saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and turn down immediately. Allow to simmer gently, stirring often (or it will stick to the bottom) for 40 to 45 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. A silicone spatula makes an excellent stirring tool, allowing you to easily scrape the pudding down the sides and off the bottom of the pan. The rice should be soft and significantly plumped up. Check it often towards the end of cooking to ensure it does not get overdone or burn.

Serve immediately in the cutest bowl you can find, if you like it hot – otherwise let it chill in the fridge and enjoy later. It can also be reheated. Enjoy.


I haven't yet tried this recipe cold because I ate two bowlfuls straight from the pan. I only paused to take a handful of photos, because, despite my gluttony, I do love to share with you.


Note: Fancy picture created with my friend Dur's fancy camera. I may never return the camera. Please don't tell him.

No comments:

Post a Comment